The Amherst Fire Department is off to a busy start in 2013 after responding to a fire early New Year's Day .
Firefighters responded to a one alarm basement fire in 28 Christian Hill Road at 2:52 a.m. The fire had spread to the first floor wall and into the attic when they arrived on the scene.
Milford fire department was requested to the scene to assist in checking fire extension in the attic, while Merrimack Fire covered the Amherst Central fire station while Amherst crews extinguished and dug out a fire in the first floor wall.
The fire was quickly extinguished and controlled after an hour battling the blaze.
Amherst Fire Chief Mark Boynton said that the fire origin and cause investigation determine the fire started in the wall behind the fireplace was accidental and caused improper installation. The residents sustained considerable fire, smoke and water damage to the first floor.